Make your own free website on

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:27:09 GMT
From: unknown@unknown (unknown)
Name: Sande Jones-Elkins
Location: Loudon, TN
Date_of_Sighting: 1968-69
Time_of_Sighting: early evening
I don't remember the exact date and time of my sighting. I was 
in the Eighth Grade, my final year in Junior High School, so it 
was at least 30 years ago.  It was after we had begun a new year 
at school but not late enough for the air to have turned cool in 
East Tennessee.  So I would say it was sometime in late August or 
September of 1968. As for the time, it was already completely 
dark outside so I'd say it was no earlier than 8:30pm and because 
of my age at the time(and my mother's strict curfews)no later than 
9:00 or 9:30pm. We were living in a neighborhood of tract houses 
so the homes were close together.  My neighbor,Marilyn(also around 
fourteen at the time), were sitting together in my front yard 
playing with, of all things, a Ouija board with very little success.  
I remember both of us looking up at the same time.  I don't 
remember what prompted us to do so.  We saw a large glowing dome 
with red, white, and blue lights revolving around it's base. It 
appeared to be very close. If it had been a helicopter, I would 
have estimated it at being no more than 25 or 30 feet above the 
ground.  I do not recall any sound or even air motion coming from 
it.  This fact is supported by the fact that my neighbor, a man in 
his late twenties, walked out on his porch and was not aware of 
what was right over his head.  We were shouting for him to look up 
but when he finally did the object had dissapeared.  It seemed to 
fly very quickly straight up into the sky. We did see it clearly 
and for at least a minute or possibly longer.  We rushed in and 
told my mother what we'd seen and the next day at school I 
attempted to tell some of our classmates.  But when I asked 
Marilyn to back me up, she denied the entire story, saying that 
it was a joke we'd made up. I pulled her off to the side and asked 
her why she was lying and denying what we'd seen. She told me 
that, when she'd told her mother, her mother had said that people 
would think we were crazy if we told and that she should deny ever 
seeing the object. I never mentioned the story to another person 
until my teenage nephew mentioned an interest in UFOs earlier this 
year and I told him.  Oddly enough, ours was not the only sighting 
in our area during that month.  Several stories were printed in 
the local paper about lights in the sky but none as spectacular, 
close or clear as what we'd seen.  I wish that I'd had the courage 
to speak up then but I was young and the only other witness denied 
the entire story.  I saw her again a few years ago at our twentieth 
high school reunion and I started to ask her about the incident 
again but I didn't relish the idea of being laughed at by all of my 
old classmates.  I wonder though how many other people like me have 
seen something so clear that they didn't report.

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:46:15 GMT
From: unknown@unknown (unknown)
Name: Sande 
Location: Loudon, Tennessee
I failed to mention in my previous report that other members of 
my family did see some of the other "lights" in the sky that 
were reported around our area at the same time my friend and I 
saw the large object.  The light sightings were numerous and 
there were reports in the local paper about them. They appeared 
quite often over one hill which was known as Hospital Hill
(because it was where the hospital was located).  We didn't 
have a rescue helicopter operating in the area at that time so 
that couldn't be the explanation.  Many people reported seeing 
the lights, my sister, her husband and my mother among them, 
which appeared for several nights in a row.  I remember that 
people would gather at their windows and on their porches to 
see the lights.  These sightings began right after my friend 
and I saw the large object.


UFO Sightings in New Mexico and the World